တတ္လုိ႕မဟုတ္ဘူးေနာ္ ကုိယ္ပုိင္မွတ္စုကေလးကုိ ျပန္ေရးထားတာပါ သူငယ္ခ်င္းတုိ႕လည္း မွတ္လုိ႕ရတာေပါ႕။ I hope to you in a better day. The best preparation for work is not thinking about work, talking about work, or studying for work: it is work.Knowledge is the candle, lightening your life, brightening your brain and shining your future.All the grammar you need to know.ပုုိစ္တင္နုုိင္ေအာင္ ၾကိဳးစားေနပါတယ္ သူငယ္ခ်င္းတုုိ႕ေရ နည္းနည္းကေလး က်န္းမာေရး မေကာင္းလုုိ႕ေနာ္။

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Learning English idioms with Pictures and examples



Pull Someone's Leg
Hey, Al. I was invited to be a judge for the Miss America Beauty Pageant!
Oh, really? Come on, you're pulling my leg!
No, honestly. Do you really think that I'm trying to fool you with a ridiculous story?
Well, you've told me foolish stories before.
I can assure you that this one is for real.






Play It by Ear
Let's go to the movies, agreed?
Sure. And what'll we do after that ?
Oh, I don't know. Let's play it by ear.
Well, I would like to have a more definite plan of action.
Don't be like that. It's always more fun not knowing what to expect and deciding what to do as we go along.






All Thumbs
Hey Bea. Can you help me out ? I don't seem to be able to button up the back of my dress.
Sure. Let's see if I can do it for you.
I guess I'm all thumbs because I'm so nervous. I'm already late for my date.
Well, I suppose that being so nervous would make you clumsy and awkward. But don't worry. I'm sure your date will wait.








The Early Bird Catches the Worm
Marc, the lines for the rock festival are going to be miles long! If you expect to get tickets for you and Mary, remember that old saying. " The early bird catches the worm "
I guess you're right. Mary is looking forward to the concert, and I'd hate to disappoint her. I'll get up real early to get a place at the head of the line.
That way I'll get the tickets I want, for sure !






Money talks
We've been waiting for three months to get delivery on our car, and people who put in their order after us have already gotten theirs.
Well, money talks. Why don't you try giving the dealer a little something extra to move things along ?
I know full well that money has the power to influence people, but I refuse to pay extra for a service that is owed to me as a client.
If you want to have your car maybe you'd better reconsider.







Feel Like a Million Dollars
I bumped into Nick at the salon yesterday. He looked great, but I noticed that he had a slight limp when he walked.
I guess you didn't know that he had an operation on his knee.
No, I didn't. How's he feeling ?
He says he's feeling like a million dollars now. Apparently the pain in his knee is all gone.
It's good that he's feeling so wonderful. It must be a refreshing change not having to put up with all that discomfort.







Lemon
Have you seen Joe's new car yet ?
Yeah. It looks good, but she's had nothing but problems with it.
That's too bad. It sounds like she got a real lemon.
She sure did. No sooner did she drive it home from the dealer's than it proved defective and started breaking down.









Wet Blanket
James was not invited to go on the outing with the rest of the group because he's such a wet blanket. On many previous occasions he has kept others from enjoying themselves by his pessimism and lack of enthusiasm. It's understandable that no one wants him around.






Kick the Bucket
It's been said that the old man knew of a buried treasure, but he kicked the bucket before telling anyone where it was. If the treasure exists, the old man unfortunately took the secret of its location with him when he died.









Bend Over Backwards
When Joan first started teaching she was afraid that she would have a lot of trouble getting used to the kids and to the faculty. Her fears turned out to be unfounded, since everybody bent over backwards to help her. Everyone tried very hard to help her feel comfortable and adjust to the school.




I copied the words from the following link [http://www.englishdaily626.com/idioms.php]

0 comments:

Post a Comment